Thursday, September 13, 2007

Love Breeds True Friendship

"A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" (Proverbs 17:17)

True friends are not easy to come by in this generation of waywardness. A true friend is unchangeable in all circumstances. Do you sometimes ask yourself who is your friend? Maybe you have been thinking, it is that person who gave you some money recently.
The Lord Jesus, teaches "Love your neighbour as yourself". It is only love that will make you care about what is happening to your next neighbour at all times and everywhere you find yourself. Are you only concerned about those from your family, church, tribe, father mother, or brothers and sisters alone? God expects you to love everyone you have opportunity to meet. You have to demonstrate the love of God towards all as Jesus did (both Jews and Gentiles). This is the only way we can impact lives as Jesus did. When did you last pray for that unbelieving soul you had opprtunity to meet? That neighbour of yours who has been sick, did you pray for him or visit him? Our Lord Jesus wept at the grave of Lazarus his friend. Don't be a believer who only focusses on heaven and eternity without getting concerned about others around. It is good and rewarding to make friends, not a friend of the world, but a friend who can touch lives. "Let your light shine before all men..." This is the excellency of love in Christ Jesus.

- Thank God for the reminder once again that I shouldn't focus too much on my christian friends. I still have other friends around me who I need to look out and pray for especially for their salvation. In my prayers, I mostly prayed for my christian friends only. How about my friends who doesn't know about Christ? I should say that I had neglected them in my prayers.
Through this passage, I've realised that I didn't pray much for them lately. It also help me to think and ask myself that this week, how many non-believing friends have I prayed for? I should say NONE! From now onwards I shall include those non-believing friends in my prayer and pray for their needs and salvation.

No comments: