Friday, January 18, 2008

The Turning Point

When I first met Joe, he was a hard-drinking man. Some of his neighbours saw him as a trouble-maker. My initial efforts to help him were completely unsuccessful. He said he didn't want anything to do with Christ or Christians because he had seen too much hypocrisy in the church.

A short time after his wife's death, Joe surprised many people by coming to a church service. He received a cordial welcome and started to attend regularly. We put no pressure on Him to become a Christian but trusted the Holy Spirit to do His. About four weeks later, on a Monday morning, he rang our doorbell, came in , sat down, and said, "Pastor, the first time I met you I told you how rotten I thought everyone else was, but now I see how bad I am. Last night I got down on my knees and asked Jesus to save me."

Joe's life was transformed when he stopped making excuses and admitted his own sinfulness. That was also true of the wayward son in today's reading. When he hit bottom, he said, " I will arise and go to my father, and will say to Him, 'Father, I have sinned (Lk. 15:18)

The turning point for all of us comes when we acknowledge our need and accept God's offer of forgiveness.

Forgive me, Father, for my sins, the many wrongs that I have done; help me to turn from evil ways and follow Jesus Christ, Your Son

Father, I have sinned against heaven..., and am no longer worthy to be called your son Luke 15:21

No comments: